Sunday, February 14, 2010

Celebrities are Similar to Unicorns. . .

Somewhat mythical, and disappointing.

I was walking down the streets of new york with some friends and i walked by a guy that looked quite similar to val kilmer, except this guy was a little shorter, huskier and greasier. It wasn't until i was finished staring that i realized that this guy was in fact val kilmer. I prodded a friend and pointed him out. We both talked for a little bit about it, then i mentioned it to the other people in my group. That's right, my group. They were mine. Anyway, the night continued on and he was forgotten. Until i was thinking about the situation today. Prepare to be cynicized.

Why do we care?

Realize that this just isn't a dig on val kilmer. I mean, let's be honest, batman forever was awesome. This is a blanket statement. It covers all hollywood types in general. I understand that he is an entertainer so maybe we like to meet these people that have entertained us at one point in our lives, but why do we feel this inner sense of wonderment (and by we, i mean other people, obviously)? Why do people wait outside night clubs to meet a celebrity? Why do they follow what a celebrity is doing at all times? Why do people care that so-and-so is now engaged to so-and-so? The only connection we have with these people is we saw them on a television. . . . . once, maybe twice. Are our lives that terrible that we feel the need to detach from our current situation and live in someone else's shoes?

These "people" might be talented actors, and they genuinely might be great people. I'm not here to judge that person (although i do). I'm here to ask why we're convinced that everything on the outside is better than what we have? I love my life. I love my friends. I love my family. They are the coolest people on the planet, exponentially more entertaining than any celebrity, and have some of the most interesting lives. . . Ever.

Ug. Wouldn't we be better off taking interest in our own lives, rather than the lives of people who don't really influence us.

In the defense of hollywood, it does shape American culture. It shapes how kids act and how adults act. Kids mimic things they see on television. That's part of the learning process. This can either be a good or bad thing depending on what they're watching. The scary part is that hollywood shapes how adults think and act, even though their brains are fully developed. I'm probably guilty of this. I don't know how, but i'm sure i am.

Basically, what i'm saying is hollywood is dumb. I'm coooler than them and i'm jealous that they make money for doing easy things, and if you tell me that acting isn't easy, you're an idiot.

1 comment:

Aricka said...

I completely agree with you. We shouldn't care what happens in their everyday life, cause we don't really know what happens in their everyday life. It stinks that people of today are so influenced by what they read in magazines and what they are told on Entertainment Tonight. Come on people get your own life. You too Matt!