Saturday, December 4, 2010

Child Abuse: Not Quite Important Enough To Actually Do Anything About

*Disclaimer*
Child abuse isn't cool. . . . unless they really really deserve it. And then i just wouldn't call it abuse, i'd call it a mildly harsh punishment. For example. Child abuse. Not acceptable. Child mildly harsh punishment. Acceptable.
*End of Disclaimer*

Ok ok ok, i was on facebook most of the day today and i noticed that people were changing their profile pictures to cartoons. First off, that in and of itself, is dumb. Then i found out WHY they were changing it and i laughed til i cried til i threw up til i went to sleep. For those people living in the stone age (aka, nonfacebook users), people are changing their profile pictures to be aware of child abuse (whatever that means). I mean, i'm aware that children are abused without changing my profile picture, but whatever.

Way to stand up for something facebook people. I mean, why would you actually want to change the non-facebook world? If we could eliminate facebook child abuse, that would be something, wouldn't it? I could wake up and read fox news and there would be no reports of facebook child abuse. Just reports that obama was seen drawing swastikas in the snow, but that happens like every day, so it's not that big of deal.

On that note, i just wanted to mention that, like hipsters, people who support idiotic causes are what is really wrong with this world. More specifically facebook causes. More specifically trying to eliminate child abuse by not actually doing anything that is any way related to child abuse. Anyway, just something i was thinking about.

ps, someone stole my farmville sheep so i was going to change my profile to an animal to raise awareness about sheep stealing on farmville. Who's with me!?!?

pps, a quick google search came up with a site that actually looks like they might be in to preventing child abuse, instead of just pretending to prevent child abuse. Want to donate? click here.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

I saw this earlier and was like, what do cartoon profile pics have to do with stopping child abuse?? Why are people soooo dumb? It's like only people who read your blog are sane anymore. Keep up the good idiot-exposing work!

Matthew said...

Thanks courtney, i agree with you. Only sane people read and understand my blog, which is why it's not as popular as it could be. I might start catering to imbeciles.

Bloomability said...

hahaha people are idiots. seriously matt, your blog puts a smile on my face all the time. i'm grateful for your blog in my life.

MindySue said...

I completely agree. I saw all those posts earlier and it took every ounce of willpower to not tell them how stupid they were being. I mean, if by doing it there was some sort of donation given to some shelter or whatever then I would be all over it. But cartoon profile pictures do nothing to help abused children. NOTHING.

This is one of those times that I am grateful for my ZERO TOLERANCE copy and paste status policy. I don't copy and paste anything into my status. If it's important enough to comment on then it's important enough to come up with your own original thought about it or to get off your butt and actually do something about it instead of the lazy 3-click copy/paste/post.

Hayley Jo Reese said...

You just copied and pasted my brain in this blog post! Crazy!

Lara said...

Is that what that's about? I just thought it was a cool way to be self-indulgeng and show off how my cleverly selected cartoon character from my youth kicked everyone else's lame-o selection in the animated A.

(I chose Jem. She is awesome and people are telling me that all the time. Which is what facebook is about. Incessant validation from people you hardly know.)