Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Question: No Seriously, I Have a Question

This post precedes the Great Decay of Modern Society (aka miley cyrus) only because i was thinking about some life changing changes.

So. . . . . . . a while ago, i got a complaint that reading white print on a black background was hurting the eyes of a person who shall not be named. Voldemort [gasp]. And by voldemort [gasp], i mean a courtney person. . . i think it was her. Maybe it was a brent person. Anyway, i reprimanded said person and told them to grow a pair of better eyes, then promptly forgot about it. That is until i was reading my own posts, laughing (yes, i do that. It makes me feel better), and could have sworn the text was moving around the page. it hurt my eyes.

So, the question i pose, if i changed the background to a white, with black text, would it lessen the negativity of the blog? I chose black because it's foreboding and a foreboding header because it's foreboding and because it was the most negative thing i could conjure up, but as i've aged, i feel like i can now be just as negative with a non-negative appearing blog. I'm not sure. I have thought about this for a while and changing it up would be a big change (obviously) and i'm just not sure i can do it. It's like, i need a haircut, but for some reason, i can't get one.

I'm thinking that maybe by changing it to white with black text, and changing up the header, it would make it more of an ironic juxtaposition. Like if i had a picture of unicorn as the header. . . . .Hmmmm. Tempting. Anyway, i'd like to hear some thoughts. I mean, it bothers me, but not enough to really make a change, sort of like one time, my hair bothered me, but i didn't cut it until it would always get in my mouth when i brushed my teeth. If it stops people from reading my opinion on everything, then i'd definitely be willing to make a compromise. Or, i'd just say eff you. One or the other.

I would legitimately like some input on this. Or not. I don't care. But maybe i kind of do, but not really.

8 comments:

MindySue said...

It's all or nothing. Either keep the black background with the white font to give everyone (not me, really, but everyone else) a headache on purpose as part of your Mattster Plan of Negativity OR make it as sickeningly joyful (unicorns, rainbows, big rock candy mountain) as humanly possible. I, for one, say you stick with what you have.

MindySue said...

or you could give it the same blue font as in your sidebar. it's easier to look at that color.

Matthew said...

ok ok, i can see that. I did it on purpose so as to subconsciously hurt the people that glimpse into my brain. Since, you're apparently the only person that ever reads this, i'll just stick with it.

Alyse Bitty Hair said...

I vote for change... CHANGE 2010

Anonymous said...

i vote if you change it to don't go white background with black text because that would be the same contrast as what it is now. If you change it change it to something like grey with black text, but i don't really care because it doesn't both me now. just don't change it to a white background with black text. that would just be weak sauce.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I find it a little tricky to read. Especially at the end of th day when my contacts spin in my eyes and refuse to function. But it's manageable. I pull my laptop onto my chest (a chesttop) and squint a little. For me, it doesn't hinder readership. You could try changing the color or maybe just upping the font size? Personally, I vote for unicorns. And maybe a baby seal.

Anonymous said...

Yeah your blog interface sucks. What's the point in sharing valuable (debatable) info if you discourage people from reading it with poor design and typography?

I think adding unicorns and rainbows will only make people talk more.... Your call.

MindySue said...

perhaps unicorns and rainbows you draw yourself in Paint (a la Hyperbole and a Half...google it)