Monday, March 28, 2011

Scrapbooking: Not a Bad Way to Waste Time

Yeah, not a bad to waste time if you happen to live forever and you’ve done everything else and you’re bored as crap.


Anyway, I had a pretty involved conversation the other day about scrapbooking. I feel as if we talked about it for quite a while. The funny thing is, when we finished, we were no closer to understanding why people do it then when we started.


I guess i just don’t get it.


I mean, i understand the concept of space-time.


I understand the difference between possibility and probability.


I’ve started to understand the concept of quantum physics and string theory (at a very basic level).


I understand that when i don’t capitalize the letter “i” jason cramer is offended.


I understand honesty isn’t always the best policy.


I also understand some pretty complicated weather patterns.


I understand all these things (and more), but i still cannot comprehend why people would waste time scrapbooking.


It’s inefficient. Why not just use a photo album where you can put a whole bunch of photos on one page instead of 1 photo per page with some interesting ? Is there a reason for this madness?


Ug.


I guess this probably comes from not understanding women. Maybe if i understood scrapbooking, i would understand women. Aaaaaaannnnd maybe if i understood how to light a firework, i would understand how to launch the space shuttle.


What’s crazier is that there are scrapbooking conventions. What the eff do people talk about there? What glue works best? How to create an aesthetically appealing page? It’s two photos on a page surrounded by other unimportant things. What could you possibly need to know?


I’m not apologizing for any of this. If you scrapbook, then congratulations. You’ve discovered the absolute worst way to waste time. Worse than writing opinionated rants that nobody will read. Way worse.

4 comments:

Lyssa said...

I've never been to a scrapbooking convention, but I've heard about them. You're actually right about what they do there. They DO talk about glue and they sell stickers for 3 bucks (it also happens to be the hobby of people who don't have anything better to do with their money).

Kira C. said...

I tried to scrapbook. It takes like 3 days to finish one page, and you need at least 10 different accessories and things for it. I will never scrapbook again.

Anonymous said...

According to a NY Times reference (from the Wikipedia page on 'scrapbook'), it's a $2.5 billion dollar industry!!!

I'm a woman. I do crafts and girlie sh*t all the time. But I do not understand the allure of scrapbooking. I find it visually offensive.

I am grateful to you for sharing this rant. Thanks kindly! :)

Anonymous said...

I just found this today...lol...personally I think the conventions are held so they can all meet up in their hotel rooms and sniff glue.