Saturday, April 2, 2011

Freedom of Speech: Pushing the Boundries

I haven't posted on the weekend for a while, but after reading a little bit about some events in the past couple days, i felt i needed to write. It might be kind of jumbled because i'm trying to not to punch a hole through my computer screen (not really).

Anyway. . . . "rev." terry jones, d-bag extraordinaire, decided to burn a quran at his "church" this past week for some reason. It's apparent that the reason is that he's a d-bag and a racist (correlation, not causation). I mean, i know i'm supposed to love everyone and i sincerely make a concerted effort to, but it's hard for me, as a human, not to harbor anything but feelings of disgust when i think about what he does.

That being said, what is the real issue?

There is no doubt in my mind that what he did was horrible. People died because of his actions but i have a hard time placing the blame on him. Every fiber or my being wants to, but i'm a huge advocate for freedom of speech, and as distasteful as it is, burning a quran definitely falls into that freedom.

It's similar to the westboro baptist church. They protest at soldiers' funerals holding up signs saying the soldier is going to hell. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about the families of the fallen soldiers having to deal with that along with the grief of losing a child, but where is the line? I only ask because i don't know exactly myself.

Staffan de Mistura, a top U.N. envoy in Afghanistan said that the "freedom of speech does not mean freedom of offending culture, religion or traditions" (i hope i didn't take it out of context. I read the article). . . . . . . . Yes it does. It does give us the freedom to offend whomever we want, but just because we can do something, doesn't mean we should do something.

The creators of southpark decided to make a musical about Mormons. I haven't seen it. I don't think i will. I don't appreciate when people make fun of my beliefs, regardless of how weird they seem to be. But i don't kill people who create disrespectful musicals. I understand that same freedom is similar to the freedom that allows me to practice my religion. I just wish other people did.

I also wish other people weren't d-bags.

1 comment:

MindySue said...

We've been out of town visiting family and so YOUR BLOG was the first time I found out about the Quran getting burnt. You BROKE news! I just wish it wasn't so sad. Freedom of speech is amazing and everytime I see someone do something (like make a Book of Mormon Musical) it is frustrating, but makes me a little happy, that we live in a nation where they can do that. However, when I hear about a man who burns a book of scripture to MAKE A STATEMENT...it makes me happy that we live in a nation where we have the right to bear arms.